Happy Thursday, friends! I’m so happy to be back again this week with another fruit- and veggie-packed recipe spotlighting some tasty produce from Pink Ribbon Produce and Meijer. I’m pretty stoked to show off two of my favorite items from the produce section in one smoothie—clementines and avocados!
If you think an avocado smoothie is weird, I’m here to change your mind. Avocado adds an amazing amount of creaminess, richness, and healthy fats (which helps make your smoothie more filling), and it barely has any taste at all. Try it! I promise you’ll never want another avocado-less smoothie again.
This avocado smoothie packs in three Pink Ribbon Produce partners in one glass—juicy clementines from DNE World Fruit, tasty avocados from Avocados From Mexico, and tender and sweet baby spinach from Dole Salads. If you missed last week’s kick-off post on my partnership with Pink Ribbon Produce, let me give you a quick overview of their mission.
During the month of October, when all of our minds are focused on Breast Cancer Awareness, Pink Ribbon Produce helps inform folks what eating a healthy diet can do to help prevent cancer, all while raising money for their research parter—the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Pink Ribbon Produce partners with fruit and vegetable growers along with major supermarket chains to team up to help fight breast cancer through nutritional education and fundraising for cure research. Educating the public on the importance of a healthy diet and raising cash to help fight breast cancer? That’s a win-win in my book.
If you think you are helpless when it comes to lowering your cancer risk, you’ll be happy to know that you have some power in this fight! The American Cancer Society says that, besides quitting smoking, eating a healthy diet rich in plant-based foods is one of the most important things we can do to help prevent cancer.
The ACS recommends getting at least 2 1/2 cups of fruits and veggies a day, and green smoothies like this one are a wonderful way to pack in a lot of produce in an easy-to-eat, tasty treat. For each one of these smoothies you drink, you are getting in one clementine, a half avocado, a half banana, and a cup of spinach—that right there is four servings of fruits and vegetables! You’ll almost hit that 2 1/2 cup mark just with one drink!
This smoothie has a bright, citrusy flavor, and is the perfect way to wake up your morning. If you’re feeling a touch under-the-weather, this smoothie would be a great way to help bolster your immune system to fight off the yuck—it clocks in at over 200% if your RDA of Vitamin C per serving.
And, if your throat is scratchy, this cool and creamy smoothie feels wonderful going down. I get really picky about the foods I eat when my throat has that tickle, and this smoothie always makes the list of winners.
Oh, and I said I would convince you to try avocado in your smoothie! DO IT. Even if you aren’t an avocado fan, the texture of the smoothie is so wonderful, you’ll be completely on board! And, like I said, it can add some much needed fats and healthy calories to smoothies that are normally too low calorie and lacking in fat to really satisfy. Adding avocado to a smoothie turns it into a meal.
Just make sure to use perfectly ripe avocados (unripe ones tend to get a bit lumpy in the blender, and too ripe ones have that weird, sweet taste that no one likes). You’ll swear that you put a scoop of ice cream in your smoothie, it’ll be so velvety smooth. Enjoy!
Want more smoothie recipes like this one?
- Cold Buster Smoothie. When you have the sniffles, try this. It is one of the best smoothies for colds.
- Pumpkin Smoothie. A smoothie that tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass? That’s autumn perfection.
- 3 Ways to Meal Prep Smoothies. If you’re looking to save yourself some time in the morning, try these tips to make ahead smoothies.
- Tart Cherry Smoothie Bowls. This cherry smoothie is thick enough to top with granola and eat with a spoon.
- Sweet Potato Smoothie. Sweet potato in a smoothie? You bet!
- Apple Pie Smoothie. This apple smoothie offers all the flavors of pie—you won’t even notice the spinach.
And check out these reader favorites!
- How to Freeze Peaches. Stock your freezer with peach slices for smoothies, oatmeal, and desserts!
- Chicken Quesadilla. Learn how to make perfect, cheesy quesadillas, every time.
- How to Roast Spaghetti Squash. We’ve got all the tips for making long, perfect spaghetti squash noodles—no more mushy squash here!
- Vegetable Beef Soup. Pantry staples form the cornerstone of this soup, making it a great weeknight option.
Want to be a sponsor? Let’s work together!