There was a time in college where, every Friday for lunch, some of my very best girlfriends and I would head to a particular chain Italian restaurant and gorge ourselves on soup, salad, and breadsticks. This tomato basil bisque with an Italian chopped salad reminds me of those wonderful lunches spent laughing with my friends! You just need to add some breadsticks. This tomato basil bisque is also ah-maze-ing with some grilled cheese for dippin’.
If you have access to fresh basil, that makes for the best flavor in the soup, but please don’t
waste spend your hard-earned money on those anemic clamshell boxes of basil that the grocery store tries to sell for $5 each in the winter. Dried will do just fine.
This blender soup ends up being the most lovely pink color! A big chunk of the flavor comes from the fire roasted tomatoes, so make sure to grab those instead of just regular diced tomatoes.
- 2 cans (14.5 ounce) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (13.5 ounce) full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves OR 2 tablespoons dried basil
- In the pitcher of a blender, combine all ingredients. Blend on high until very smooth.
- Pour into pint-size Mason jars. Seal lids and stash in fridge for up to a week.
- To reheat in microwave: remove lid from jar, cover jar loosely with a paper towel, and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes—stirring every minute—until hot.
- To reheat on stovetop: pour soup into a small saucepan. Head over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot throughout—about five minutes.