Share this post:
I love the combo of this easy spicy black bean soup in a jar with fiesta salad in a jar because it’s a cozy and warm meal like I always crave in winter, but it’s packed full of bright summery flavor. It’s like the best of both worlds!
- 1 tablespoon coconut or avocado oil
- 1 medium size onion, diced (about 1 cup worth)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon worth)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans seasoned black beans, drained (about 4 cups worth)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and garlic and cook until just fragrant and tender, about five minutes.
- Add in the black beans, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the soup is has thickened.
- Divide into two pint-size Mason jars. Seal lids and stash in fridge for up to a week.
- To reheat in microwave: remove lid from jar, cover jar loosely with a paper towel, and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes—stirring every minute—until hot.
- To reheat on stovetop: pour soup into a small saucepan. Head over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot throughout—about five minutes.
Top this with chopped avocado and sour cream right before serving. I like serving it with some tortilla chips for dipping!
If you can't find seasoned black beans, regular canned black beans will work, too.