If you walk into any smoothie bar or coffeehouse, you’ll probably find a strawberry banana smoothie on the menu. And that’s because it’s a yummy combo that everyone loves!
The great news is that a perfect strawberry banana smoothie is such a breeze to make at home, you’ll never hit up the smoothie bar again! We’re going to teach you how to make the perfect strawberry banana smoothie at home with just 5 ingredients. Let’s get blending!
What do I need for a strawberry banana smoothie?
Not only is this a super popular smoothie flavor, but it is also super simple! To make it, you’ll need:
- Frozen banana. The banana adds sweetness and creaminess, so it is one of my favorite smoothie ingredients to use.
- Frozen strawberries. You can use fresh strawberries too, but I prefer frozen. Frozen fruit serves to chill and thicken your smoothie, so you won’t need to dilute the flavor with ice!
- Milk. You can use regular cow’s milk, unsweetened soy milk, or your unsweetened nut milk of choice. Coconut milk would give it a fun tropical twist.
- Plain Greek yogurt. This will help to thicken your smoothie.
- Honey or maple syrup. Bananas and strawberries can vary in sweetness, so you’ll want to give your smoothie a taste before adding any sweetener. You may be able to skip this ingredient entirely!
Buy some extra bananas on your next grocery run. Peel them, break them into pieces, and freeze them flat on a baking sheet. Transfer to a freezer container or bag once frozen—you’ll be ready to go for your next smoothie!
Don’t I need ice?
Not if you are using frozen bananas and frozen strawberries! Those should work to chill and thicken your smoothie on their own, so you can skip the ice. The best part of this is that you won’t be diluting the flavor of your smoothie.
If you are using fresh fruit instead of frozen, you’ll want to add a handful or two of ice to the blender.
How do I make a strawberry banana smoothie?
For the best results, you’ll want to add the ingredients to the blender in this order:
- Liquid first.
- Frozen strawberries and bananas.
- Greek yogurt.
Then blend away, slowly ramping up to full speed! When the smoothie looks silky, take a taste test and decide if you want to add any sweetener. If you do, add the honey or maple syrup and blend for a few more seconds. If not, pour and enjoy!
What’s the best blender for making smoothies?
Blenders have gotten so advanced in the past few years, that it’s hard to pick one that won’t blend up a great smoothie! If you’re blender shopping, here are the three blenders we recommend for daily smoothie-making:
- MOST AFFORDABLE: Cuisinart Immersion/Stick Blender—Don’t let its small size fool you, this tiny handheld blender is packed full of power, and will easily make a smoothie for you every day!
- MEDIUM: Ninja Professional Blender—For under $100, you get an incredibly powerful blender that makes a dreamy, creamy smoothie. This was the blender we used in the Wholefully test kitchen for years, and it’s a great starter level, but still high-powered, blender.
- SPLURGE: Vitamix Professional Blender—A Vitamix is the top of the line when it comes to blenders, and it’s what we use every day in the Wholefully test kitchen. It comes with a hefty price tag (think: more than your car payment), so if you’re just blending a smoothie every now and again, there is no need to make the splurge. But if you do a lot of cooking or make a lot of smoothies or blended drinks, you might want to start saving your pennies for a Vitamix. It’s a lifetime appliance that is a dream to use!
How do I make this strawberry banana smoothie vegan?
Use maple syrup instead of honey to sweeten your smoothie. Opt for plant-based Greek yogurt (I usually like coconut milk yogurt) and plant-based milks. Easy peasy!
Is there a way to pack more nutrition into this smoothie?
This recipe makes a simple strawberry banana smoothie, but you can add whatever seeds, powders, or greens that you’d like! For this one, I might add fresh spinach and flax seeds.
If you find a combination of mix-ins that you really like, you can freeze them as booster packs for super fast smoothie-making.
Where can I find more smoothie recipes?
For all of our other smoothie recipes (we have more than 25!), check out our How to Make a Smoothie post.