Get ready to elevate your holiday snacking game with the irresistible charm of Christmas Puppy Chow! This delightful treat, also affectionately known as “Reindeer Chow,” is the perfect way to infuse some festive magic into your holiday season. From its sweet and crunchy texture to its delightful chocolate-peanut butter flavor, Christmas Puppy Chow is a favorite among kids and adults alike.
Whether you’re planning a cozy family movie night or looking for something to bring to a holiday party, Christmas Puppy Chow is sure to become the star of the show.
Why is puppy chow called puppy chow?
The name “puppy chow” might be a bit misleading because, despite its moniker, this delicious snack is not meant for our furry friends. In fact, it’s a sweet and crunchy concoction that’s perfect for humans of all ages to enjoy. The name likely originated because the finished product resembles dry dog food, but don’t let that fool you! It’s a holiday favorite made from Chex cereal coated in chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. You may also see it called Muddy Buddies, Monkey Munch, or, during the holidays…reindeer chow!
What do I need to make this Christmas puppy chow recipe?
If you’ve ever made a variation of puppy chow before, most of this ingredient list will look familiar:
- Rice Chex cereal
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Creamy peanut butter
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Holiday-colored M&M candies
Protip: Mix it up with mint!
While standard M&Ms make a delicious muddy buddies addition, we love this holiday version even more with mint M&Ms. They add a refreshing, festive flavor to the snack mix!
Is this reindeer chow gluten-free?
Sure is! Rice Chex is gluten-free, so you really just need to check the label on whatever brand of chocolate chips you use to make sure there is no hidden gluten!
Protip: Keep it gluten-free!
Can’t find the Rice Chex? Corn Chex will also work for this recipe and will keep it gluten-free as well!
How do you make Christmas puppy chow?
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper. Pour cereal into a large bowl.
- Put the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for one minute, and stir to combine. Stirring should help melt any lumps of chocolate or peanut butter, but if not, microwave in ten-second increments until everything is melted.
- Add the vanilla to the chocolate peanut butter mixture.
- Pour the chocolate over the cereal and stir well.
- Transfer the cereal mix to a gallon zip-top bag and add the powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake until all the cereal is coated with sugar.
- Pour the puppy chow onto the baking sheet, and gently stir in the M&Ms. Cool completely.
How long does reindeer chow last?
Store puppy chow in an airtight container for up to two weeks. It can be stored at room temperature, so this is a great gift to make the week before Christmas—just seal it in a pretty tin, and your gift wrapping is done!