I tend to be one of those people that has a tiny sweet tooth in the mornings. I want something just a little sweet, but you’ll almost never see me reaching for a donut in the A.M. It’s just a bit too rich for my blood that early (hit me up later though)!
That’s why I love the balanced richness of these Chocolate Chip Banana Overnight Oats. A little bit fruity, a little bit chocolatey—they are my favorite way to get a nourishing and satisfying breakfast fast! Welcome to the magic that is that is overnight oats!
What are overnight oats?
You make overnight oats by mixing rolled oats with liquid and other mix-ins, and let it rest in the fridge for at least two hours, or preferably overnight (hence the name!). In the morning, you can grab it straight out of the fridge and eat it like a pudding—no cooking required. Or you can heat it up if you prefer. If you’re new to making overnight oatmeal and want a full primer (plus lots of other easy-to-make recipes), check out our Overnight Oats 101 post.
What makes overnight oatmeal so great?
Overnight oatmeal has been part of my weekly food prep routine for almost a decade now. Here is why it’s such a staple in our house:
- You can make them your own. Make them vegan, gluten-free, or in whatever flavor combo strikes your fancy! It’s all doable because overnight oats are completely customizable. We’re covering Chocolate Chip Banana Overnight Oats in this post (which is a great, simple recipe to start with), but once you get the idea of overnight oats down, you can go wild making your own creations!
- They can be as nourishing as you want them to be. You are in complete control of how healthy or decadent (or both!) these oats become. Reduce the added sweeteners, mix in some protein powder or collagen peptides, add in some superfoods like hemp seeds or chia seeds. The possibilities are endless!
- They taste decadent and delicious! The oats soften up in the fridge to make a thick and sweet pudding that is totally yummy with a creamy texture.
- Overnight oats are the perfect prep-ahead breakfast. Spend just a few minutes in the evening, and you’ll have a grab-and-go breakfast in the morning!
- Overnight oats are easy to make in bulk. They are a staple of many meal prep menus for good reason—you can mix up an entire week’s worth of breakfast in just a few minutes.
How long do banana overnight oats last?
For the best texture, flavor, and color, we recommend eating these banana overnight oats within 3 days.
When do you add the banana to overnight oats?
Add sliced or mashed banana to these overnight oats when you are mixing together all the other ingredients. Overnight, the banana will lend its natural sweetness and flavor to the overall mixture.
Can you make substitutions to this recipe?
Yes! Once you get the hang of making overnight oats, use your imagination and substitute away! Easily make these overnight oats vegan, gluten-free, low- or no-sugar by changing one or two ingredients. We cover all the substitutions you can make in our in-depth overnight oats post. Here are some specific swap ideas for these banana overnight oats:
- Make it vegan or dairy-free: Use plant-based milk (we love this one with almond milk!), plant-based yogurt, and maple syrup for sweetener.
- Make it sugar-free: Drop the sweetener, make sure to use unsweetened peanut butter, and add 1/2 mashed ripe banana. Or use stevia or monk fruit sweetener in place of the maple syrup or honey, if you prefer.
- Make it gluten-free: Make sure to use certified gluten-free oats.
Can you heat up overnight oats?
Yes, you can absolutely warm up these chocolate chip banana overnight oats. Just heat them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds, stirring frequently or in a small saucepan on the stove until heated to your liking.
Where can you find more overnight oatmeal recipes?
We’ve got you covered when it comes to simple and easy overnight oats recipes! Here are some of the most well-loved recipes on Wholefully.
If you’re still skeptical, promise me you’ll at least try one batch before making judgment—it’s not an exaggeration to say that people have told me overnight oats have changed their life!