This 30 minute Healthy Chicken Stir Fry is a great way to get in a ton of veggies into a weeknight supper. Serve it over top of brown rice for tons of fiber!
Quick and Easy
Ready in 30 minutes
There are nearly 500 (!) recipes on this website. I’ve been cooking things, taking pictures, and posting recipes on the internet for all to see for almost six years now. And yet, somehow, I still don’t have all of my go-to, staple, can-always-count-on-it recipes posted.
Walk into my kitchen on any given weeknight (or pop in and watch on Snapchat —> wholefully) and guess what you’d probably find me making? This Healthy Chicken Stir Fry. Even though it’s a staple in our house, it has somehow escaped the viewfinder of the blog up until now. That changes today.
The interesting thing about this dish is it’s exactly the kind of thing I never would have eaten a few years ago. Two common flavorings in stir fry—soy sauce and ginger—are not my most favorite of flavors. People are always shocked when I tell them that!
But I’ve made a lot of progress over the past few years. I actually like ginger now (in small doses), and I can tolerate soy sauce when it’s a base flavor in a sauce or marinade. You still won’t find my dousing my rice in soy sauce anytime soon, but I’m proud of my palate for evolving! And it’s evolved right into loving this simple, healthy, weeknight stir fry. I love this quick dinner!
One of the biggest hurdles I think people have when they first start eating more healthfully is the increased time commitment for food prep. I can’t deny it. Cooking healthy, fresh, whole foods requires more prep time than hitting up a drive through or baking a frozen pizza.
But, just because you want to eat healthier doesn’t mean you have to suddenly commit to cooking for three hours every day after work (you can if you like and it makes you happy, but you don’t have to). There are tons of healthy recipes out there that are almost as fast as fast food. I’m a big believer in doing what you can with what you have when you have it. And if you have only a half hour to cook meal for your family on a busy Tuesday evening, buckle down and figure out how you can make the best of those 30 minutes!
When thinking about how to compress cooking a healthy meal into a time crunch, I’m a fan of using wholesome products that save you some precious minutes without sacrificing any nutrition. Minute® Brown Rice is a great example of one of these products! It’s nutritionally the same as the long-cook brown rice you can get in the grocery store, but because it is parboiled, it cooks in a flash. Normal brown rice can take upwards of 40 minutes to cook, but Minute Brown Rice is ready in 1/4 of that time! It’s a great pantry staple to have in your kitchen for crazy weeknight dinners.
This stir fry recipe is infinitely adaptable (just like all stir fry recipes). I love this combo of veggies, but if you don’t like mushrooms, leave them out. Want to use shrimp instead of chicken? Go for it. Want to make it meatless? Rock on. Want to make it gluten-free? Use tamari instead of soy sauce (thankfully, Minute Brown Rice is naturally gluten-free—so no issues there). Make this your own! Enjoy.
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 large red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup snow peas, sliced into 1” pieces
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 cups frozen broccoli, defrosted
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups cooked Minute® Brown Rice
- Sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds, for serving
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, lemon juice, honey, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and red pepper flakes. Add in the chicken, and toss to coat. Let marinate in the fridge will you chop your veggies.
- When you have all your veggies ready to go, heat a large wok over high heat. Add one tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Drain the chicken from the marinade, reserving it. Add the chicken to the wok and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about five minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the wok, and then add in the garlic. Cook for a minute or until fragrant. Add in the carrots, bell peppers, snow peas, and mushrooms. Cook until bright in color and just crisp cooked, about three minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and cooked chicken. Reduce heat to low.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the reserved marinade, and then pour into the wok. Bring to a simmer and cook until thick, about five minutes. Serve on top of Minute Brown Rice and topped with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
The nice folks at SheKnows are giving away a $100 Visa gift card to one lucky Wholefully reader. All you have to do to get entered is to leave a comment below answering this question:
What’s your favorite recipe for quick (and healthy) weeknight dinners?
No duplicate comments. You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected. The Official Rules are available here. This sweepstakes runs from 2/1/16 – 4/30/16.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Minute® Rice. All opinions are entirely my own. Follow Minute® Rice on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Instagram to learn more about their products and see their recipes.