If you’re a fan of the savory, slightly spicy delight that is pepperoni, you’re in for a treat! While it’s a favorite pizza topping, you can do so much more with pepperoni—and today, that means making Pepperoni Pinwheels. These bite-sized delights are not only scrumptious but incredibly versatile—pack them in a school lunch, serve them as a party appetizer, or save them for an after-school snack!
What can I use pepperoni for other than pizza?
Pepperoni is a versatile ingredient that can add a burst of flavor to many dishes. In addition to pizza, we love it in pasta, pizza rolls, and sandwiches. And of course, we love pepperoni in these tortilla roll-ups, also known as pinwheels!
What do I need to make these pepperoni roll-ups?
For this pepperoni pizza pinwheels recipe, you’ll need these simple ingredients:
- Cream cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Tortillas (the large burrito size)
Protip: Add veggies!
Want to add some veggies to your pinwheels? Try adding some finely diced veggies to the cream cheese spread!
How to make pepperoni pinwheels
We love making pinwheels because they come together so quickly and easily!
- Make the cream cheese spread & prep the tortilla. Stir the milk, cheeses, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning into softened cream cheese. Place your first tortilla on a flat work surface, like a clean counter or cutting board.
- Add the cream cheese spread. Spread half of the cream cheese spread on a large tortilla, ensuring the spread goes to the edges.
- Add the pepperoni. Cover the cream cheese spread with pepperoni, leaving 2″ without pepperoni on one edge.
- Roll the tortilla. Starting at the end opposite the one without pepperoni, roll the tortilla tightly. Gently squeeze to help the roll stay together.
- Chill and slice. Repeat steps 2-4 with the other tortilla and the rest of the cream cheese spread. Chill rolls for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
How do you get pinwheels to stay together?
The cream cheese spread is vital for these pepperoni pinwheels. It acts as a “glue,” holding the rolls together for a perfectly portable snack or school lunch.
How long do you have to refrigerate pinwheels before cutting?
We recommend chilling pepperoni roll-ups for at least half an hour—the cream cheese will thicken a bit as it cools, making it easier to slice the pinwheels without them falling apart.
Once the rolls are chilled, use a sharp serrated knife to slice off the ends of the tortilla, then cut the rest of the roll-up into 1″ wide pinwheels. You’ll get about 6 pinwheels out of each tortilla, plus the ugly (but tasty!) end pieces.
Can pepperoni pinwheels be made night before?
Absolutely! These cute little pinwheels can be refrigerated for two to three days, making for half a week’s worth of school lunches. Or, if you are serving these as party appetizers, prepping your pinwheels in advance can save you lots of time on the big day.