These easy, flavorful, and spicy Mesquite Chicken Sandwiches are a great way to get a quick and healthy dinner on the grill.
Ready in 40 minutes
If the weather is anything where you are like it is here (brrr! so cold!), then you are probably filling up your dinner menu with warm, cozy, hearty foods like soups, stews, and casseroles. But before you pack that grill away for the season, I urge you to bundle up one more time and make yourself some dinner on the grill. Trust me. These sandwiches are worth throwing a coat on for. Or hey, maybe you’re one of those fancy people who owns a grill pan, and you can make these sandwiches while you’re all warm and toasty inside. Either way, you must make these. Must.
The key to these super delicious mesquite chicken sandwiches is all in the mesquite rub. You can make your own, like I did, or just run down to your local store and pick up some in the spices aisle. After you eat it on these sandwiches, you’ll want to have it always stocked in your pantry, so if you do go and pick some up, I highly recommend buying the biggest bottle available.
You could adjust and tweak the toppings on the sandwiches to your liking, but I’m a pretty big fan of the lettuce, tomato, bacon, and Swiss cheese combo. What isn’t optional? The mustard-mayo sauce. Traditionally, I just mix up Dijon mustard with mayo, but recently, I’ve also been throwing in a squirt or two of sriracha—it’s pretty much the best sandwich spread on the planet. Tangy, spicy, creamy. So. Good. It’ll even make your ho-hum turkey sandwich super tasty.
If I haven’t convinced you to put on a scarf and fire up the grill yet, could I at least convince you to sock this recipe away for the first nice day of spring? It’ll be an awesome way to celebrate the return of warm weather!
These flavorful and spicy mesquite chicken sandwiches are a great way to get a quick healthy dinner on the grill.
- 4 small chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons mesquite grill seasoning
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
- Buns, lettuce, and tomato
- Rub the mesquite grill seasoning evenly over all sides of the chicken breasts. Place on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to high, and cook chicken breasts on greased grill grates, flipping occasionally, until cooked through, about 10 minutes total. Place two bacon slices onto each chicken breast, and top with a slice of cheese. Close grill lid and let cheese melt, about a minute. Remove from grill.
- Whisk together the mayo, mustard, and Sriracha. Spread evenly on the top of a bun, and the stack chicken breast with tomato and lettuce.
- Category: Chicken