Need an easy comfort food meal to make on busy weeknights? Then you’ll love this easy Instant Pot chicken and dumplings recipe. Sautéed veggies, tender chicken, perfectly cooked biscuits—what’s not to love? All you need are a few simple ingredients and an Instant Pot, and you can make the best chicken and dumplings recipe right in your own kitchen!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy: This recipe does not involve much prep work or steps, making it easy for even newbie chefs to make!
- Little clean-up: You only need a pressure cooker and a cutting board to make this delicious recipe.
- Quick: The entire cooking process, from sautéeing the veggies to pouring in the heavy cream, takes around 45 minutes!
What size Instant Pot do I need for this recipe?
A 6-quart Instant Pot is the perfect size for this recipe.
Is this chicken and dumplings recipe soupy or thick?
There are two parties of thought regarding chicken and dumplings: a thinner, soupier broth or a thicker, stew-like consistency. This chicken and dumplings recipe falls on the soupy end of the spectrum!
What’s in this Instant Pot chicken and dumplings recipe?
- Avocado oil.
- Yellow onion
- Celery stalks
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Seasonings (Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper) provide the classic flavor for homemade chicken and dumplings.
- Chicken broth
- Small biscuits cut into bite-size pieces.
- Frozen peas and carrots are the final veggies added to the chicken and dumplings for that traditional comfort food feel.
- Heavy cream
Protip: Swap smart!
If you prefer dark meat, skinless chicken thighs will also work.
Can I use homemade dumplings?
Absolutely! Make sure you form them into small pieces so they don’t wind up soggy. You can make any homemade biscuit dough or dumpling recipe you like!
Protip: Size matters!
Using smaller biscuits can prevent sogginess. For canned biscuits, look for packages with around 10 per can instead of larger biscuits like Grands with only eight biscuits.
How do I make chicken and dumplings in an Instant Pot?
- Turn on the Instant Pot to the Sauté setting. Heat some oil, and add the chopped onion and celery. Let them sizzle for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft.
- Add the chicken pieces, Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Give everything a mix and let it cook together for another 5 minutes.
- Cancel the Sauté function, and stir in some chicken broth.
- Add the biscuit pieces one by one so they don’t stick together. Close the lid of the Instant Pot and set it to the high-pressure cooking cycle for 10 minutes.
- Naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes, then use the venting knob to release the remaining pressure. Wait to open the lid until the pin drops.
- Pour in the frozen vegetables and cream and stir. Let it thicken up for a few minutes, serve, and enjoy!
How long does it take for the Instant Pot to come to pressure?
Our Instant Pot took about 12 minutes to come to pressure before cooking. But it can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes. Once the Instant Pot reaches pressure, the float valve should pop up, signaling it’s ready to use!
What should I serve with chicken and dumplings?
How do I store the leftover chicken and dumplings?
Store any leftover Instant Pot chicken and dumplings in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
How do I reheat the chicken and dumplings?
Reheat on the stove in a small pot on medium-low until heated through. If warming frozen chicken and dumplings, thaw the soup completely before reheating.
Can I freeze Instant Pot chicken and dumplings?
You can freeze chicken and dumplings in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Thaw the soup completely in the refrigerator before reheating on the stove over medium-low heat.
The best chicken and dumpling recipe you’ve ever had
Making chicken and dumplings in an Instant Pot is an easy way to enjoy one of your favorite meals in under an hour. With a creamy sauce, buttery dumplings, and flavorful veggies, this easy recipe will quickly become a favorite in your household!