Everyone needs a simple potato side dish recipe in their pocket—and our garlic roasted potatoes are that recipe! These crispy, pillowy potatoes go as a side dish with almost any main course. They are ready quickly, they are a breeze for beginner cooks to make, and they are so delicious that the entire family will beg for more. Let’s get roasting.
How do you get crispy roast potatoes?
The keep to crispy potatoes in the oven is making sure they roast and not steam. The oven can quickly turn into a steamer when the trays or the oven are overcrowded. Follow our recipe below, and we promise you’ll have crispy potatoes every time.
Should I boil potatoes before roasting?
You can—some people think this gives you even crispier roasted potatoes. But we think the difference is minimal and that the parboiling isn’t necessarily worth it. When we are trying to get a simple, balanced, hearty dinner on the table, who has time for an extra step (and dirtying an extra dish)?
What kind of potatoes should I use?
Whatever kind of potato you have on hand will do the trick here!
- Yukon gold potatoes will give you creamy, almost sweet roasted potatoes.
- Russet potatoes get the most crisp on the outside, but stay tender and fluffy on the inside.
- Red potatoes fall somewhere between Yukon gold and Russet potatoes in terms of their roasted texture.
What ingredients will I need to make these garlic roasted potatoes?
To make garlic roasted potatoes you’ll need:
- Potatoes, obviously.
- Oil. We typically use avocado oil, but olive oil works just as well. The fat adds flavor and encourages the outer edges to brown.
- Garlic powder. Many garlic roasted potatoes recipes call for minced garlic, but we’ve found that the garlic often burns before the potatoes are done cooking. Rather than picking off blackened pieces of garlic, we’ve opted to use garlic powder instead. Our kids prefer it this way, too!
- Salt and pepper. If you (or your kids) aren’t black pepper fans, you can absolutely leave it out.
- Fresh parsley. The parsley adds a little color and some fresh flavor to the potatoes. If it is the middle of winter and you don’t have easy access to fresh herbs, you can leave this off.
How to make garlic roasted potatoes
This easy side dish is always a winner in our homes! To make these roasted potatoes, you:
- Preheat the oven and chop up the potatoes.
- Toss the potatoes with oil, and then spread them out on a baking sheet.
- Toss the potatoes with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Roast in the oven until fork-tender, and then sprinkle with parsley.
How do you reheat roast potatoes and keep them crispy?
You can reheat these potatoes either in a 425°F oven, or in a skillet with a little oil. Heat until warmed through.
Looking for other simple side dishes?
- Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Simple Steamed Asparagus
- Grilled Bell Peppers