Share this post:
No-churn, dairy-free ice cream that is deliriously creamy? Yup, thank you very much cashews. You can make this into any flavor you want, but we love a good vanilla ice cream in our house.
Final verdict: Almost as good as the dairy stuff.
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 15-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste or 2 vanilla beans, scraped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place cashews in a bowl or jar (I like using a wide-mouth quart mason jar) and cover with water. Let soak overnight (at least 6 hours).
- Once soaking is finished, drain and rinse the cashews, and place in the basin of a high-powered blender. Add in the coconut milk, the maple syrup, vanilla paste, and salt and blend on high until very smooth—about three minutes.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container (I like a loaf pan) and freeze until solid—about six hours.
- Quick soak method: Cover cashews with boiling water and let sit 1 hour before proceeding.
- Super quick method: Place cashews and three cups of water in a saucepan, bring to a boil and continue boiling for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse before proceeding.
- You don’t need an ice cream maker to make this recipe, although it will be slightly creamier if you do use one. It’s just barely icy if you make it using the no-churn method.