Blue cornmeal is sweeter and has a better nutritional profile than its yellow and white cousins. Try out blue cornmeal in this moist and tender blue cornbread!
Ready in 25 minutes
Okay, I know. This bread looks crazy. But please, pretty please, don’t let the weird blue color turn you off. Blue cornbread is something you absolutely need to make. And yes, it is totally different from regular yellow cornbread. And honestly, I think its pale blue color is actually kinda fun! It certainly is different from the run-of-the-mill yellow breads you find on the dinner table.
If you’ve never worked with blue cornmeal before, I highly recommend seeking some out. Blue cornmeal is much sweeter than regular cornmeal, and it has an intense corn flavor. It actually tastes like fresh sweet corn, which I find absolutely amazing. Blue cornmeal is also nutritionally superior to white or yellow cornmeal. It has 20% more protein than yellow cornmeal and a much lower glycemic index, making it an even healthier option. Blue cornmeal rocks!
This recipe results in a crumbly but moist cornbread with just a touch of sweetness. I know in some circles it’s blasphemy to put sugar in cornbread, but I think just a touch goes a long to way to bringing out the natural sweetness of the corn. And then, of course, I go all crazy and drizzle the top with honey. Because cornbread without honey on top is just sad.
This is my go-to cornbread recipe—with blue, white or yellow cornmeal. It turns out perfectly every time, and is highly adaptable. Add in some shredded cheddar cheese, minced jalapeño, or some crumbled bacon. Switch out the dairy ingredients for vegan options (I recently made this with soy-free Earth Balance, unsweetened coconut milk, and plain coconut milk yogurt, and it turned out perfectly). Bake it in a cast iron skillet or pour it into a muffin tin for the most tender and delicious cornmeal muffins you’ve ever had.Print
Blue cornmeal is sweeter and has a better nutritional profile than its yellow and white cousins. Try out blue cornmeal in this moist and tender blue cornbread! Adapted from Daily Garnish.
- 1 cup finely ground blue cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, butter, and milk. Pour into the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined—do not overmix. Fold in the corn kernels.
- Pour the batter into a well-seasoned cast iron skillet or a square baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.