If you’re a fan of piña coladas you’ll love this “greena colada!” Full of rich creamy coconut milk, sweet pineapple, and nutrient-packed spinach, this pineapple spinach smoothie is the perfect way to enjoy a taste of the tropics at breakfast, snack time, or even dessert.
What ingredients do I need for my pineapple spinach smoothie?
This is one of the simplest green smoothies you can make because you only need three ingredients! Of course, you can always pack your smoothie with additional ingredients to boost the flavor, texture, or vitamins and minerals, but this smoothie is filling and delicious with the base recipe alone.
- Frozen pineapple chunks. A no-mess, no-fuss way to get this tropical fruit into a smoothie.
- Baby spinach. It may turn your smoothie green, but it won’t make your smoothie taste like spinach. All the nutrients with none of the spinach flavor.
- Full-fat coconut milk. The taste of coconut paired with pineapple makes this taste like a piña coloda! Make sure you use full-fat coconut milk for a rich, creamy taste that will fill you up.
If you’re not a fan of coconut milk, you can use another nut milk like almond milk. Your smoothie will still taste delicious, it just won’t have as much of a tropical flavor and may be less creamy.
Don’t I need ice cubes?
Nope, if you use frozen pineapple chunks there’s no need for ice. The frozen fruit cuts down on prep time and helps keep the smoothie cool and creamy. If you want to use fresh pineapple you’ll need to toss in a few ice cubes to chill and thicken your smoothie.
How to make a pineapple spinach smoothie
Smoothie recipes are really simple to make because the blender does all the work. This is especially true for this pineapple spinach smoothie because you’re using frozen pineapple. To make your smoothie:
- Add all your ingredients to your blender, starting with the coconut milk.
- Pulse to break down the larger pineapple chunks, then blend on high for several minutes, or until the smoothie has reached your desired consistency.
If you’re using a high-powered blender, don’t worry about pulsing. You can go straight to blending on high.
Can I make this smoothie vegan?
Good news! This pineapple spinach green smoothie is already vegan because coconut milk is dairy-free. In fact, the base recipe is 100% vegan, paleo, and gluten-free. Of course, if you decide to add additional ingredients like Greek yogurt, you’ll have to choose alternatives that fit your dietary needs.
Does it matter which blender I use?
This is a simple smoothie to make, no matter what type of blender you already have in your kitchen. If you’re new to the smoothie world and looking to invest in a blender, here are three that I highly recommend.
- Best immersion blender: Cuisinart hand blender. This is a great little blender that doesn’t cost a fortune.
- Best mid-range blender: Ninja Professional. If you’re looking for an all-around good quality blender, you can’t go wrong with a Ninja.
- Best professional blender: Vitamix 5200. The best of the best for those who use a blender all the time. This Vitamix will power through your toughest blending jobs with its powerful motor.
What ingredients can I add to my pineapple spinach smoothie?
This smoothie already tastes like a heavenly tropical drink but it’s easy to add a few ingredients to make it feel more like a meal and less like a cocktail.
- Chia seeds, hemp seeds, and ground flax seeds are all high in healthy fats and other nutrients. You can’t taste them, so like the spinach, they’re a sneaky way to add feel-good nutrition to a great smoothie.
- Local honey. Honey that comes from local bees not only tastes great, it also helps you fight seasonal allergies because the bees make the honey from local pollen they gather. A win-win!
- Almond meal or almond flour. This will help thicken your smoothie and make it more filling, all while giving you some plant-based protein and healthy fats.
The easiest way to add extra ingredients to your smoothies is to bundle them together in smoothie packs. Prepare your ingredients in advance, freeze them, then pop them in your smoothie whenever you want a boost of nutrition!