Halloween is creeping around the corner, and it’s time to conjure up some wickedly delightful treats for your ghoulish gatherings. One snack that’s sure to cast a spell on both kids and adults alike is Halloween Puppy Chow. Let’s dive into the cauldron of culinary delight and uncover the secrets of this bewitching snack!
Is puppy chow an American thing?
Yes, indeed, Puppy Chow is an American invention, and it has nothing to do with actual puppies, we promise! This tasty treat has been a staple at American gatherings for decades. It’s known by different names across the United States, with some calling it Muddy Buddies, Monkey Munch, or Reindeer Chow (especially during Christmas). Whatever you call it, the delicious combination of cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar remains a beloved treat at parties, sleepovers, and holiday gatherings.
What is Halloween puppy chow made of?
Our Halloween version of this classic snack takes a typical puppy chow and adds some Halloween candy favorites. You’ll need:
- Rice Chex cereal
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Creamy peanut butter
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Reese’s Pieces
- Candy corn
Protip: Adjust the sweetness!
We opted for semisweet chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate because you get so much sweetness from the powdered sugar and candy mix-ins! But if you want your Halloween puppy chow to be even sweeter, you can use milk chocolate or even white chocolate chips.
How do you make Halloween puppy chow?
If you can stir and shake, you can make Halloween puppy chow!
- Pour the cereal into a large bowl. You want extra space in the bowl so you have room to mix.
- Melt the chocolate chips into the butter and peanut butter. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the chocolate over the cereal and stir until all the cereal pieces are coated.
- Pour the cereal into a gallon zip-top bag and add the powdered sugar. Seal and shake the bag until you can no longer see any wet chocolate spots.
- Pour the puppy chow onto a lined baking sheet and stir in the candy. Cool completely.
Protip: Customize it!
We chose Reese’s Pieces and candy corn for our candy mix-ins, but you can use whatever small candies you want. Try candy eyes, mini marshmallows, M&Ms, or candy pumpkins!
How long does puppy chow last?
One of the fantastic things about puppy chow is its shelf life. When stored in an airtight container, it can last for up to two weeks at room temperature. Just make sure it’s in a cool, dry place and away from direct sunlight.