Nothing can quite replace the comforting, indulgent feeling of biting into a rich, fudgy brownie. However, for those with gluten intolerance or celiac disease, traditional brownies are often off-limits.
Enter: gluten-free brownies. They offer the same delightful experience while catering to gluten- or grain-related dietary needs. This recipe, in particular, uses almond flour to create brownies that are just as delicious as their wheat-based counterparts.
Are these cakey or fudgy brownies?
Many a brownie lover falls distinctly into one of two camps: Team Cakey Brownies, or Team Fudgy Brownies. Some enjoy their brownies light and airy, while others enjoy a dense, rich, melt-in-your-mouth consistency. Well, if you’re a fudgy fan, you’re in luck! These gluten-free brownies are delightfully fudgy, moist, and oh-so-rich. With an irresistibly gooey center and a slight crust on top, they’re an absolute fudgy delight.
Protip: Maximize fudginess!
For extra fudginess, underbake the brownies by juuuust a touch! Remember, every oven is different, so keep an eye out for optimal fudginess vs. undercooked.
Why almond flour?
Almond flour, made from finely ground almonds, is a favorite in gluten-free baking due to its rich, nutty flavor and versatility. Not only does it provide a great texture, but it also adds nutritional value, including fats and protein.
Protip: Get the best texture!
Be sure to buy finely ground almond flour, not almond meal, for the best texture in your gluten-free brownies.
What you’ll love about gluten-free brownies
Many of us are familiar with the tempting aroma and decadent flavor of a classic brownie. The joy of gluten-free brownies is that they offer the same irresistible taste, but with a few added benefits that you’ll come to love:
- Uncompromised Taste and Texture. First and foremost, these gluten-free brownies are incredibly rich and fudgy and satisfy your sweet tooth just as well as a traditional brownie.
- Nutrient-Dense Ingredients. One of the delights of gluten-free brownies is the nutrient-dense ingredients that they incorporate. For instance, almond flour, the key ingredient in this recipe, is an awesome nutrient-dense option.
- Greater Digestibility. For those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease, these brownies are a game changer. They are much easier on the digestive system and can be enjoyed without the worry of triggering any adverse reactions.
- Versatility. Finally, gluten-free brownies are extremely versatile. You can experiment with different gluten-free flours, add-ins, and toppings to suit your taste preferences or dietary needs. You can even pop some ice cream on top and make them à la mode for the summer.
Ingredients needed to make gluten-free brownies
I bet you’re thinking gluten-free brownies are hard to make, or somehow require more ingredients. But not these! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Granulated sugar
- Avocado oil
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Almond flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
Can I add anything to these gluten-free brownies?
One of the joys of baking is creative liberty! Luckily, these gluten-free brownies are no exception. There are a ton of different options that you could add to the mix!
- Nuts: A classic brownie addition, nuts add a delightful crunch and depth of flavor to your brownies. Almonds, walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts would all be fantastic choices. Chop them roughly and fold them into the batter before baking.
- Dried Fruit: For a sweet surprise, consider adding dried fruit like cherries, cranberries, or chopped dates. The fruit adds a nice chew and a burst of sweet-tart flavor that complements the rich, gooey chocolate.
- Spices and Flavors: A unique take on brownies, but hear me out! A dash of cinnamon, a hint of chili powder for a little heat, or a touch of peppermint extract for a minty twist could all be delicious.
Protip: Experiment responsibly!
When adding extras to your brownie batter, try to keep the total amount of add-ins to about a 1/2 cup or less. This way, you can be sure your brownies will still bake up perfectly fudgy and moist. Happy experimenting!
What’s the best way to store almond flour brownies?
These gluten-free brownies are best enjoyed within 3 days of baking. Be sure to store them in an airtight container at room temperature to maintain their fudgy goodness.
Gluten-free brownies: A delightful treat for all
With this gluten-free brownie recipe, you can enjoy the sweet pleasure of a brownie, whether you’re gluten-intolerant or not. Remember, the best brownies come from quality ingredients and a bit of love, so don’t rush the process. Happy baking!