Think cooking a delicious, moist, and tender ham has to be a difficult task? Not so with this Slow Cooker Ham recipe with a honey-mustard glaze.
Slow Cooker, Gluten-Free
Ready in 8 hours
Here’s a little holiday week confession for you: I’ll take ham over turkey any day of the week. I know turkey is tradition and everything, but I love ham so much more. I like ham sandwiches and ham ‘n’ beans. I like the way ham is rich and flavorful. And I like that you can plop a ham in the slow cooker and pretty much call it donesies.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking, but Cassie, there is no way my slow cooker will hold a ham. And, well, that’s true if you have a small slow cooker. But if you have a larger one (like my six quart one—love this slow cooker), you can absolutely fit a quarter ham with the lid on, and you can even fit a half ham if you make a fake lid with aluminum foil—it works perfectly.
You could just cook the ham in the slow cooker in the glaze, serve it, and call it that. It would be delicious! But I like to go the extra step and simmer down the cooking liquid, glaze the ham, and then put it in the oven for a quick trip under the broiler. It gives it that glossy, glazed, sticky, delicious coating that is pretty much the thing dreams are made of.
The great thing about slow cooker ham is that if you absolutely must serve turkey for all your holiday meals, this ham is so simple that you can make it for pretty much any meal. It doesn’t have to be totally special holiday dinner. Heck, this is even fast enough prep time-wise to work for a weeknight dinner! And then you could have really amazing sandwiches for lunch at your desk the next day.
I know a lot of you are hitting the road (or the air) over the next few days, so here’s me sending lots of wishes of headache-free, safe travels—in the form of ham. Have a wonderful holiday, friends!
- 1 quarter, spiral-sliced, fully-cooked ham
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ cup water
- Place the ham in the basin of a slow cooker.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, honey, mustard, cloves, and water over high heat. Heat until just warm enough to dissolve the sugar. Pour the mixture over the ham, making sure to separate the slices to let the glaze get between.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6, basting with the cooking juices every few hours. Serve immediately, or, preheat the broiler, transfer the ham to a oven-safe dish, and pour the cooking liquid into a small saucepan. Heat cooking liquid on medium-high for 5-7 minutes, or until thick and bubbly. Brush onto ham, and broil for 4-5 minutes, removing to baste with additional glaze every minute or so.