I’m about to change your life.
Okay, maybe not. But at the very least, I’m about to make your world much easier. Alfredo sauce is something that can be finicky and a pain to make. This is not that alfredo sauce. You are going to look at this recipe and say, “Uh. That isn’t alfredo sauce. It can’t taste good.”
But I promise, it is incredible. And comes together quick. This is a rockin’ weeknight dinner!
Of course, you can use the sauce base for anything, but I chose to throw in some season-appropriate asparagus. I adore asparagus. When I was a kid, we had a nice big asparagus patch in the garden. I remember wading through the Spring mud with my Mama’s favorite (and incredibly dull) weeding knife to chop off the purple and green spears poking out of the slop. We’d roast ’em with a little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper.
Asparagus is crunchy, strong flavored and balances really nicely with the rich and creamy alfredo sauce. This one is a winner!
For my fettuccine, I used this brown rice pasta from Pasta Joy just for something different. I have to say, I LOVED this pasta! It was smooth and silky, just like white flour pasta, but with the benefits of the whole grains. Highly recommended!
Fettuccine Alfredo with Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add pasta and cook until nearly finished, about 7 minutes.
- Add asparagus to pasta and continue boiling until asparagus is just tender, about 3 more minutes.
- Drain pasta and asparagus, set aside.
- In same pot, over low heat, add butter, cream, milk, nutmeg, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Stir until melted and heated through.
- Remove from heat, toss with pasta and asparagus, serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan on top.
Thank you for the recipe! My husband and kids loved it.
Wow, can I come over to your house for lunch today? Pretty please.
Haha, this looks epicly amazing!
You can, but I won’t be there. 😛 And wont have any of this. Although I totally wish I did.
I love asparagus, no matter how it’s prepared, I love it!
Me too! I love it. 🙂
I am bookmarking this page and making this for my husband!
Let me know how it turns out! 🙂