Add some kick to your game day party with this cheesy, spicy, and smoky Bacon Sriracha Queso. You’ll be shocked how easy queso is to make!
Perfect for Game Day
Ready in 15 minutes
Sometimes, I feel like I should rename this blog to House of Bacon and Sriracha. I mean, it doesn’t really roll off the tongue very well, but it does do a pretty great job of giving you guys an accurate picture of what I’m all about. Bacon and Sriracha are my jam (and now, I totally want to make a bacon and Sriracha jam).
The interesting thing about my love of Sriracha is that I don’t even really like spicy foods. Yup. I’m a total wimp when it comes to heat. I remember going to a sandwich shop with a friend, and our sandwiches accidentally got switched. I took a bite of it, and literally started crying because there were jalapeños on it. One bite. Tears. Wimp.
But there is something about Sriracha that is different. It’s not just throat-searing hot like a lot of hot sauces. It actually has flavor. It’s sweet and spicy and interesting. And I love it a whole bunch. Especially when combined with bacon and cheese.
Today, I’m bringing you a recipe that combines bacon and Sriracha in what I’d consider a more “normal” way—queso! It’s your typical dreamy-creamy cheese dip spiked with some awesome Sriracha spice. And then, that sweet kick is balanced out by some smoky chopped bacon.
This would, obviously, be pretty much the most perfect thing ever to serve at your Super Bowl party next weekend. I actually tuned into watch a few minutes of the AFC championship game last weekend, because I pink fluffy heart Peyton Manning (even though he isn’t a Colt anymore, us Hoosiers still love him like whoa). I’m always happy to see a Super Bowl with a Manning playing. I might even watch some of the game this year. Maybe.
If you’ve never made queso before, it’s actually a breeze to master. The key to really great queso? Really great cheese! I am totally brand loyal when it comes to cheese, and I use all Cabot cheeses. They don’t pay me to say that. I just really flipping love their cheese. Cabot Seriously Sharp, will you marry me?
In my sriracha queso, I used a combo of Cabot’s Seriously Sharp and their Chipotle Cheddar. Any really good sharp cheddar cheese and really good spicy cheese (pepper jack, habanero, etc.) would work swimmingly. And I always pair my queso with blue tortilla chips, for no other reason than I like the color. That’s normal, right?
If you’re planning on serving this queso for the entire 1500 hour span of the big game, I recommend putting it in one of those mini slow cookers. The queso stays creamy and cheesy for a while once it is off the heat, but it won’t last the whole marathon that is the Super Bowl. Having one of those little slow cookers around is great for all kinds of party appetizers (it’s wonderful for meatballs, too). Enjoy!
- 3 slice bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2-4 tablespoons Sriracha hot chile sauce (depending on how hot you want it)
- 6 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces grated pepper jack cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Cook the bacon in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium high heat until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add in the onion and garlic, and cook until fragrant and tender, about five minutes. Sprinkle the flour over top of the onion and garlic, and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the flour just begins to darken.
- Whisk in the milk and Sriracha sauce. Bring to a simmer, and simmer until thick and bubbly, just a few minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in the cheeses, salt, and cooked bacon until the cheese is melted. Serve with tortilla chips