I’m constantly amazed at how easy and affordable it can be to make your own all-natural beauty products at home. The truth is, Mother Nature has already given us everything we need to take care of our skin– we just have to harness it!
There is a lot of power in knowing you can make your own spa-quality products right in your own kitchen, especially when you see how much cash you save. A great example of this? My DIY All-Natural Honey Lavender Moisturizing Shave Lotion. It’s made with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen, takes about five minutes to make, and leaves you with silky smooth skin. And it costs just a couple bucks to make a big ole jar full! It’s a win-win-win-win!
This lotion isn’t a foamy shave cream, but it’s a creamy lotion that works all all areas of the body—just slather it on, shave, and enjoy the moisturizing and soothing effects of all-natural honey and lavender. I use this shave lotion all year long, but it’s especially good in the wintertime when my skin gets a little scaly thanks to the dry air. I don’t even have to put on lotion after shaving! My legs are nice and moisturized right out of the shower.
Each ingredient in this mix serves a purpose, so let me walk you through why I’ve included what I’ve included:
- Almond oil or olive oil: This deeply moisturizing oil not only helps keep your skin soft, but it also helps the razor glide easily as you’re shaving—no razor burn here! I tend to like to use sweet almond oil for my skincare creations, but a good quality olive oil works as well (but you will get that olive oil scent and color). You could also use fractionated coconut oil, but it will have a coconut scent. Just make sure it’s fractionated—that’s what makes it stay liquid at room temperature.
- Unscented liquid castile soap: This all-natural soap gives this shave lotion just a bit of a lather, which feels great and helps keep the friction down .
- Raw honey: Raw honey saves the day again! Raw honey is a natural moisturizer and skin soother, as well as being antimicrobial—meaning a honey-based shave lotion will help keep your skin happy and healthy. Honey is a great remedy for all kinds of skin ailments.
- Lavender essential oil: Aside from smelling wonderful, lavender is also a great plant for soothing and protecting irritated skin. If you tend to have sensitive skin that reacts negatively to shaving, lavender might just be your saving grace.
- Vitamin E oil: Just a touch of vitamin E oil helps preserve this mixture almost indefinitely.
You might be thinking what, no shea or cocoa butter? and the answer is nope! I tried using both in the mixture, and what I found was that the lotion was nice and thick and luxurious—until it hit the water in the shower. Then, it clumped and got clogged in both the razor and my shower drain. The mixture of ingredients above is a nice balance between thick and moisturizing, but still water-soluble—it runs right down the shower drain without any issues. I’ll save my shea and cocoa butter for beauty products that don’t go down the drain.
You can store your shave lotion in an old plastic pump bottle (like the kind that hand lotion or hand soap comes in), but I keep mine in a Mason jar with a pump lid right in the shower. I know what you’re thinking—and yes, I keep a glass jar in the shower! Mason jars are WAY more sturdy that you’d imagine, and I have a ledge in my shower that the jar fits perfectly on. I just put a little bit of non-slip shelf liner under the jar, and it’s never budged. In general, I prefer to avoid plastic where possible, but if that isn’t important to you, an old plastic bottle will work beautifully.
This would, of course, make a wonderful gift for loved ones in your life! You could package it up with a nice razor and some aftershave for masculine folks in your life (and maybe think about scenting it with some more masculine scents like sandalwood). You could make it part of a whole spa-package for the bath-takers in your life—complete with a jar of Lavender Bath Salts. Give the gift of self-care this holiday season! Enjoy.
Give the gift of self care this holiday season with this DIY All-Natural Honey Lavender Moisturizing Shave Lotion. It leaves skin silky and smooth, and only costs a few dollars to make.
- 1/2 cup almond or olive oil
- 1/3 cup liquid castile soap
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a pump or squeeze bottle.
- To use: Shake well, then pump or squeeze a liberal amount onto your hands. Lather slightly, then slather onto skin. Shave as usual, then rinse down the drain.
- Lavender is a great plant for soothing and nourishing the skin, but if lavender scent isn’t your jam, sandalwood would also be excellent! Just make sure to avoid citrus essential oils like lemon and orange. Citrus can cause the skin to be more sensitive to sunlight.
- The vitamin E in this oil acts as a preservative—it’ll pretty much never expire.
- Category: DIY Beauty
Keywords: DIY beauty, shave lotion, all-natural, honey, homemade gifts