Give yourself a break on Thanksgiving Day, and use your Crock-Pot® to make the Best Ever Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes!
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes (or a mixture), peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup–1 cup whole milk
- Fresh chopped chives, for garnish
- Combine the potatoes, broth, butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and garlic in the basin of a slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 4-6, or until the potatoes are very tender. Stir occasionally throughout the cooking time to make sure all the potatoes touch the broth at some point.
- Mash the potatoes using a hand-held potato masher until no lumps remain. Then, mash in additional salt to taste, sour cream, and whole milk, starting with 1/2 cup, and adding more until the potatoes reach your desired consistency.
- Optional: Using an electric hand mixer, fluff the potatoes just for about 20-30 seconds to get that whipped potato texture. Do NOT overmix or you risk your potatoes turning gummy.
- Sprinkle on chopped chives, cover the potatoes, put the slow cooker to warm, and then serve.