Good morning, sunshine! I have a sunny, bright and totally summery treat for you today.
Unfortunately, it is gray, cold and windy out. And it is supposed to snow today. Boo! But at least my eats are bright and sunny!
Lemon curd has a reputation of being finicky. Anytime you mix together acids with dairy, it can get iffy, but I found this recipe super smooth and quick. There was nothing tricky about it.
Lemon curd is extremely versatile. Here, I spooned it into some store-bought tartlets and topped them with almond whipped cream (yum!). Between Babyface and I, these cute little suckers somehow disappeared in under 24 hours.
Not into tarts? You can use lemon curd just like you would a marmalade on toast. Or drizzle it over vanilla ice cream. Or spread it onto warm biscuits. Or just eat it by the spoonful because it is that good.
The curd will live in a covered container in the fridge for about two weeks. Although if you are anything like us, it’ll be gone before it even gets close to that two weeks.
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together butter and sugar until well-incorporated (about 2 minutes).
- With mixer still running, add in eggs one yolk at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Once all eggs are added, mix on medium-high for one minute.
- Add lemon juice. Mixture will look lumpy and curdled.
- Transfer mixture to a saucepan and heat over low heat until mixture looks smooth.
- Bump up heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes, or until sauce is thickened.
- Remove curd from heat, stir in zest.
- For immediate use, spread curd onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment, press a piece of plastic wrap onto surface to avoid a film and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes, or until cooled.
- For storage, transfer to covered container.
Makes about 2 cups.
OMG, I am in Heaven!
Hmmm… thanks for the recipe…. I love tart like lemon curd over sweet. Yummmm!
these are so cute!!
Beautiful photos. I always have extra lemon juice around, really need to do this. Thanks for sharing!
Sounds delicious! Would you mind given the almond whipped cream recipe? Is it as simple as add almond extract to whipping cream?