The whole family will love these comforting Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs with Mushroom Gravy. And thanks to the Instant Pot, dinner will be ready in 40 minutes!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup fresh minced parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or mace
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 8 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms, sliced (about 4 cups worth)
- 1 large yellow or white onion, diced (about 2 cups worth)
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos, tamari, or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk (from the can)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- Mashed cauliflower, mashed potatoes, egg noodles, zoodles, or cooked spaghetti squash, for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef, pork, parsley, dried minced onion, sage, nutmeg or mace, salt, garlic powder, pepper (if using), and fennel seeds. Using hands, mix until well combined. Form into 1” meatballs and set aside.
- In the pot of a 6-quart or larger Instant Pot, add in the mushrooms; onion; aminos, tamari or soy sauce; and broth. Gently layer the uncooked meatballs on top of the mixture.
- Close and seal the Instant Pot lid. Set to cook for 20 minutes on the “Meat/Stew” setting. When the timer goes off, immediately vent to release the steam.
- Remove the Instant Pot lid, and then turn on the “Saute” mode. In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and arrowroot powder until smooth. Add to the Instant Pot, and gently stir the mixture to break up the meatballs and thicken the gravy. As soon as the gravy is thickened, about two minutes, turn off the Instant Pot.
- Serve meatballs and gravy over mashed cauliflower, mashed potatoes, egg noodles, zoodles, or cooked spaghetti squash. Sprinkle with additional parsley for garnish.
No Instant Pot? Make it in the oven! Preheat oven to 350°. Follow directions through step number two, except instead of placing the ingredients in an Instant Pot, place in a large oven-safe Dutch oven or pot and cover with lid. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked down and the meatballs are cooked through. Remove pot from the oven and place over medium-high heat on the stove. Mix together the coconut milk and arrowroot powder, add to the pot and gently stir the mixture to break up the meatballs and thicken the gravy. As soon as the gravy is thickened, about two minutes, remove from heat and serve.