This flavorful and refreshing Summer Split Pea Salad is the perfect way to round out summer. Serve it as a light dinner or side dish.
- 2/3 cup dried green split peas
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes (or 2 medium tomatoes, diced)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced chives
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the split peas and broth in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the split peas are tender, but not mushy and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Combine the cooked split peas in a large bowl with the tomatoes, corn, parsley, basil, oregano, and chives. Toss well to combine.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the lemon juice and zest, olive oil, dijon, garlic powder, syrup, salt and pepper. Close and shake well to combine.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.