A few weeks ago, I got a nice email from the folks at Rushing Waters Fisheries in Wisconsin asking if I’d be interested in trying some of their smoked fish. I was hesitant at first, because I usually try to avoid farm-raised seafood, when possible. But after doing some research I found out that while Rushing Waters is a salmon and trout farm, they use all natural and organic farming practices and truly care about the fish they raise and the end product. They actually still harvest each and every fish by hand! Something almost completely unheard of in today’s fish farming industry. After learning of their responsible practices, I signed on to review their products.
I was incredibly impressed with the quality, flavor and variety of the products they provided. I’m a big fan of smoked fish and this stuff was no exception! It was just as good as my sister’s world-famous smoked salmon that she makes for us every Christmas. And that’s saying a lot!
Rushing Waters sent me a ton of fish and while I’m a big fan of just simply having some smoked salmon on crackers, I knew I needed some fun recipes to divvy out the haul. The first of those dishes is this smoked salmon carbonara. I took my classic spaghetti alla carbonara recipe, cleaned it up and added some flavorful, flaky salmon. The end result is guilt-free comfort food at it’s best. I’m sure you guys are sick of hearing about how good salmon is for you, but let me give you just a little reminder. Salmon is packed with lean protein and omega-3 fatty acid, which helps keep your brain, eyes and heart all in tip-top condition. The American Heart Association recommends we get two to three servings of oily fish like salmon a week. This recipe will help you reach that mark.
Oh! And I forgot to mention, it comes together in like
2.2 seconds 10 minutes. Perfect for a weeknight dinner. Now this is some fast food I can get behind.
Smoked Salmon Carbonara
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 10 ounces whole grain thin spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook spaghetti according to directions, omitting salt and fat. Before draining, reserve 2 cups of pasta water.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, heat olive oil and add garlic. Cook until garlic is softened, about 3 minutes. Add in salmon and cook until salmon is warmed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and egg whites.
- Remove Dutch oven from heat and add cooked spaghetti. Stir to evenly distribute salmon and garlic.
- While stirring briskly, stream in eggs until egg is no longer slimy-looking and thickens. Add in pasta water, 1/2 cup at a time, until pasta is creamy and saucy.
- Divide pasta into four bowls, divide cheese on top of the pasta.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary. Both the salmon and cheese are salty, so you might not need to add any salt.
Want to win some goodies from Rushing Waters for yourself? I’ve got the hookup! They’ve offered to give away a sampler pack to one lucky fish-lovin’ Wholefully reader. If you win, you’ll receive five-eight ounce fillets of their line of salmon and trout flavors. The lemon-dill is my favorite!
Can’t wait to try out Rushing Waters’s products? You can purchase them at Roundy’s Supermarkets and Whole Foods in the South and Midwest.
Now let’s win some fish!
giveaway rules, regs and how to enter:
- This contest is open to U.S. residents age 18 or over only.
- There will be one winner of the Rushing Waters sampler pack.
- To enter: leave a comment here telling me what you’d do with all that delicious smoked fish. Help a girl out! Links to recipes would be greatly appreciated. 🙂
- Entries close on January 31, 2012.
official rules and legalese:
To enter you must be 18 or older and a valid U.S. Resident. Winner will be chosen by random drawing from the pool of comments on this post. To be considered for the prize, you must provide a valid email address. Once a winner is notified and verified, Rushing Waters will be provided with the contact information of the winner and they will be responsible for prize fulfillment. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. To enter, leave a comment on this post stating what you’d do with the prize if you won. No purchase necessary to win. Entries will close on January 31, 2012 at noon (EST). The winner will be contacted by email on or before February 2, 2012. If the winner does not claim the prize within seven days, the original winner forfeits the prize and a second random entry will be chosen from the pool. This contest is sponsored by Rushing Waters Fisheries of Wisconsin and is void where prohibited by law.
In exchange for this blog post, as well as posting this giveaway, I was compensated with one sampler pack and two tubs of spread. My review of the product was not biased or influenced in any way by this compensation.