A chili may seem out of place in hot weather, until you remember that all the ingredients are at their peak in the summer. Slow Cooker Summer Chicken Chili is a hearty, yet light, version of the winter classic.
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 14-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 ounces frozen corn
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, finely diced (plus more if you like more of a kick)
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound total)
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
- Shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and other chili toppings, for serving
- Combine tomato sauce, pinto beans, black beans, corn, onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper in the basin of a large slow cooker. Place chicken breasts on top and close slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10. Thirty minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred using two forks. Return to chili and stir well.
- Spoon chili over cooked brown rice, and top with your favorite chili toppings.
You could also serve the chili over cauliflower rice, quinoa, noodles, or mashed potatoes—or, if you prefer a thicker chili, just use a slotted spoon to serve.
- Category: Entrees
Keywords: gluten-free, summer, slow cooker, chicken, chili