Craving lasagna but don’t want to make one? Use your slow cooker! This Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup has all the flavor of a lasagna with a fraction of the work. Adapted from A Farm Girl’s Dabbles.
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large onions, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1–6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2–14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 ounces curly pasta (fusilli)
- Ricotta and mozzarella cheeses for topping
- In a large slow cooker, combine all ingredients except pasta and cheeses. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add in pasta.
- When ready to serve, preheat broiler. Spoon soup into oven-proof bowls. Top each bowl with a dollop of ricotta and a sprinkling of mozzarella. Place under broiler for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is hot and melted.
Swap out the diced tomatoes for stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes with basil if you can find them, it just adds that much more flavor!
I like to pre-cook my Italian sausages so they don’t crumble in the slow cooker. I just cook them in a skillet until done, then let cool and slice. If you prefer the sausage to be throughout the soup instead of in bites, don’t pre cook the links or just use a raw pound of loose sausage.