Adapted from Martha Stewart
Spicy andouille sausage has risen in popularity lately and I had no problem finding it next to the smoked sausage in my Midwestern supermarket. If you have any issues finding it, you can sub in your favorite smoked sausage. Just make sure to add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper to compensate for the lower heat factor.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- 2 large stalks celery, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces frozen or fresh okra, sliced into discs
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, sliced into half moons
- 1–1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large slow cooker, add all ingredients. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 or until vegetables are mushy and stock is slightly thickened (it will still be thin).
- Serve over brown rice with cornbread on the side.
- Category: Entrees