This vegan Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Apples and Walnuts is packed full of healthy, in-season flavor—perfect for the cool weather months!
For the Salad
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 medium tart apple (like Granny Smith)
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts. Using a sharp knife OR using the thinest blade on a mandoline slicer (and a no cut glove) slice each sprout thinly. Slice the apple and red onion in the same manner. Combine in a large bowl.
- Toast the walnuts in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and lightly browned, about two minutes. Add to the Brussels sprout mixture. Toss to combine.
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients into a jar with a tight-fighting lid. Close the lid and shake until well-combined. Pour over the Brussels sprout mixture, and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.