Skip the trip to the golden arches, and make your own Shamrock Shake copycat at home!
- 3/4 cup vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 drops green food coloring
- Sweetened whipped cream, maraschino cherries, green sprinkles, and fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Blend ice cream, milk, extract and food coloring in a blender until smooth. If using a high powered blender (Blendtec, Vitamix, Ninja), blend on the lowest setting possible to make sure not to overheat the milkshake.
- Pour into a tall glass, and top with whipped cream, a maraschino cherry, sprinkles, and mint leaves.
Depending on the consistency of your ice cream, you may need to add more ice cream or milk to achieve desired thickness.
The controversy over whipped cream is thick (with stiff peaks!) on this topic. Traditional Shamrock Shakes do NOT have whipped cream. McDonald’s starting adding that back in 2010. But my philosophy is that whipped cream is never, ever wrong.