Did this week seem to absolutely drag on for anyone else? I had a pretty low-stress week and I think the downtime actually made the week feel like it went by so slowly. I’m used to work and life being so crazy that on weeks when I have time to do extracurriculars (like watch all four episodes of the new Charlie’s Angels—not recommended, by the way) I feel like time must be grinding to a halt. I’m not sure which I prefer: a crazy week that speeds by or a lax week that ticks on slowly.
Regardless, we’ve made it to Friday, friends! And you know what Friday means, dontcha? Pizzzzzzaaaaa!
One of my favorite things about pizza is that the category can include such a wide variety of tastes, textures and flavors. I had my first slice of New York fold-y pizza this summer (at a stand-up booth, mind you) and I’m not even entirely sure how that can be the same “thing” as Chicago deep dish. Both delicious and incredible, but totally different experiences.
So this week is a nice little departure from last week’s pizza. Last week was heavy, white sauce, full of chicken and greens. This week is red sauce with smoky roasted veggies and dollops of airy ricotta cheese. Night and day, my friends. Still pizza, still delicious, but totally different.
[box][button link=”http://www.recipage.com/new_pageCreator/printerFriendly.php?recipe_id=6005292″ type=”icon” icon=”paper” newwindow=”yes”]Print this recipe[/button]
Roasted Vegetable and Ricotta Pizza
Lightly adapted from Cooking Light
Makes one large pizza
I adore the combination of roasted bell peppers, mushrooms and onions. If there are other veggies you’d like to try, feel free to roast away. The original recipe uses zucchini, which I tend to find gets a little bit water-y on pizza, so I left it out.
- 1 batch pizza dough (enough for a large pizza)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion, cut into rings
- 8 ounces of your favorite mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Pinch of Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- Spread out peppers, onion and mushrooms into one layer on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until veggies are softened and browned.
- Meanwhile, spread dough onto a greased pizza pan. Spread pizza sauce onto dough.
- When veggies are done, sprinkle evenly on pizza crust.
- Using a tablespoon, drop dollops of the ricotta evenly on top of veggies.
- Cover pizza in mozzarella and sprinkle pizza with red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is bubbly.
- Let rest 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
If you had to choose between Chicago deep dish and New York style pizza, which would it be?
I’m a Midwestern girl, so I have to go with deep dish. But it’s a close one.