Roasted Asparagus Hoagies are hearty veggie sandwiches that will satisfy both the meat-eaters and vegetarians in your house.
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to tasted
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 4 whole wheat hoagie rolls
- 4 ounces pepperjack cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425°. Fit a baking sheet with a baking mat or spray with cooking spray. Place the aparagus, bell peppers, and onion on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the veggies are very tender. Remove from oven. Preheat broiler.
- While the veggies are roasting, stir together the mayo, lemon juice and feta, set aside.
- Place the bottom of the hoagie rolls on a baking sheet, and stack roasted veggies on top. Place pepperjack cheese on top, and then place under broiler until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Spread the mayo on the top of the hoagie buns, then place on sandwiches. Serve!
Look for thin asparagus (less than the size of a pencil)—those tend to be the least stringy. Stringy asparagus is hard to bite through in sandwich form!