Red Wine Hot Chocolate is rich, chocolatey, and gloriously boozy. It’s the perfect snow day treat for adults!
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips (recommended: Ghiradelli)
- 2/3 cup dry red wine (merlot, shiraz, cabernet sauvignon)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons sugar, optional (see notes)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the chocolate chips, wine, milk, half, and half and sugar (if using), in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is hot.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour into mugs and serve
If you’ll need to use the sugar or not will depend on the sweetness of your wine. If you’re using a very dry wine, you’ll want to add in the sugar. It’s best to take a sip without the sugar, and then add it in if need be.
For a sweeter, fruiter vibe, swap out the dry wine for a fruit wine—make sure you omit the sugar.
Zest on a little bit of orange or clementine peel just before serving to really take this drink over the top!