Looking for the perfect sugar cookie recipe for cutouts? This is it! Delicious, mildly flavored, and they don’t spread in the oven!
For the Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (3 sticks), softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, almond, peppermint, or coconut extract (recommended: Nielsen-Massey)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 tbsp. milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, almond, peppermint, or coconut extract
- Food coloring
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (like this one), cream together butter and sugar. Mix in eggs and extract until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remainder of cookie ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet in batches until combined.
- Divide dough into quarters, form into discs, and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Removed one disc from fridge and roll out on floured surface until dough is 1/8″-1/4″ thick.
- Cut with cookie cutter and baked on an ungreased cookie sheet for 6-8 minutes, watching closely. Cookies are done when bottoms are just barely golden brown. Let cool completely on wire racks before frosting. Make sure cookie sheets are cool to touch before place more cookie dough on them.
- For frosting, combine sugar, two tablespoons milk, and honey, adding more milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. For piping and spreading, you’re looking for a thicker frosting (like cake frosting), for dipping cookies, you’ll want something a little bit thinner.
- Pipe, spread or dip onto cookies. Will dry to a soft frosting with a glossy coating. If you’d like to use sprinkles, apply them before the frosting dries.