This Rich Peppermint Hot Chocolate is drinkable perfection for a cold winter day, and more nourishing for your body than the stuff with the little fake marshmallows from the packet.
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1–13 ounce can full fat coconut milk (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1–13 ounce can lite coconut milk (about 1 3/4 cups)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (70%+ cocoa), roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Whipped cream, marshmallows, sprinkles, and candy canes, optional for garnish.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the maple syrup, coconut milk, and salt. Bring to a simmer, then remove pot from heat.
- Stir in the chocolate, and continue stirring until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and peppermint extract, starting with 1/2 teaspoon of the peppermint and adding more if desired. Pour into four mugs, and top with whipped cream, marshmallows, sprinkles, or candy canes (if desired).