This copycat recipe for Penne Rosa is a healthy, quick, and super tasty dinner to feed to your family. Add chicken or shrimp or keep it veggie!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes (about 1/2 lb.) chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne, cooked
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in garlic and red pepper flakes, cook for 2 minutes or until garlic begins to soften.
- Add in mushrooms, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to release their water.
- Add in spinach and cover skillet. Let spinach wilt for 2 minutes. Remove lid, and stir in the pasta sauce. Remove the skillet from the heat, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Greek yogurt, and then add the penne. Stir until sauce is mixed well and all pasta and veggies are coated. Heat until just warmed through. Divide into pasta bowls and serve topped with parmesan cheese.
Add cooked chicken or shrimp to the final dish for an added boost of protein!
You might be tempted to skip the resting step before adding the Greek yogurt—don’t! At high temperatures Greek yogurt breaks down and curdles. Give the dish a few minutes off the heat before stirring in the yogurt to avoid chunk sauce.