These Parmesan and Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are the crowd-pleasing appetizers that will be the star of all your holiday parties.
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds (24 ounces) large button mushrooms
- 1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, plus more for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Wash the mushrooms and remove and reserve the stems, trimming the bottoms if needed. Dice the mushroom stems.
- Using clean hands, mix the diced mushroom stems, sausage, cheese, garlic, sage, and parsley until thoroughly combined.
- Overfill each mushroom cap with the sausage mixture, mounding a pile on top. Arrange the mushrooms on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the sausage is browned on top and cooked through. Sprinkle with additional parsley and serve hot.
- To make meatballs using any remaining filling, divide the sausage mixture into balls and sauté over medium-high heat in a little olive oil until browned on all sides. Drop the meatballs into a pot of hot tomato sauce and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Feel free to substitute hot Italian sausage if you like things spicy!
Keywords: appetizers, mushrooms, holidays, Christmas, sausage