Put together four adult sized lunches in just 30 minutes with this Meal Prep Veggie Stir Fry, and you’ll have produce-packed, plant-based lunches to enjoy all week long!
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
For the Stir Fry:
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large white onion, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can baby corn, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups of brown rice, quinoa, or stir fry noodles, for serving
- Sliced green onions and sesame seeds, for serving
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients until well-mixed. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or other large, deep skillet over high heat. Fill with 1/2 inch of water, and then add the broccoli. Steam the broccoli until just bright green and slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Remove broccoli with slotted spoon and set aside, drain remaining water, and wipe wok clean.
- Return wok to high heat, and add in the avocado oil. Add in the red and green bell pepper, and cook for 1 minute. Then add in the onion and garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add in the mushrooms, and cook until the mushrooms begin to soften and darken, about 5 minutes. Then add in the baby corn and stir well.
- Stir the sauce again, and then pour over the stir fry. Heat until just thickened, about 30 seconds, and then remove from heat.
- Scoop 1 cup of rice, quinoa, or stir fry noodles into a food storage container. Then add in 1/4 of the stir fry mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place sliced green onions in a small, airtight container with the stir fry.
- Let containers cool, with lids open, for about 15 minutes, then cover, and store in fridge for up to a week.
- To reheat in microwave: remove lid and green onions, and microwave stir fry and rice at full power for 1-2 minutes, stopping and stirring halfway through. Once hot, sprinkle on sliced green onions and serve.
- You want all the veggies to be on the crisp side when you’re cooking—especially because you’ll be reheating them later in a microwave, which will soften them some.
- Fresh ginger root keeps awesomely in the freezer—and it makes it easier to grate! Just store the whole root in a freezer bag, and when you need some, just grate on a zester. No need to defrost first!
- I use avocado oil here because it’s a great, high-smoke point oil that won’t set off your fire alarms in your screaming hot skillet. Other options: canola oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, or sesame oil.
- Can’t find crimini mushrooms? No problem, any mushrooms work—baby bellas or shiitakes would both be great, too!
- Category: Lunches