You probably already have everything you need to make this healthy and flavorful Lentil Vegetable Soup in your kitchen!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2–10 ounce bags frozen mixed vegetables
- 1–14 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup dried green lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add in the onion, and sauté until just tender and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the frozen mixed vegetables, diced tomatoes, green lentils, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender—about 25-30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning (you may need to add salt if you used low sodium or homemade broth). Serve immediately.
- Depending on the age of your lentils, you might have a hard time getting them to soften because of the diced tomatoes. The acid in tomatoes slows the cooking process for the lentils. If your lentils have been in your pantry for a while, err on the safe side and add the diced tomatoes after the lentils have softened slightly.
- Fire roasted diced tomatoes give tons of flavor, but if you can’t find them in your store, a standard can of diced tomatoes will work just fine.