Shower your favorite plant parent with some goodies from our amazing list of gifts for plant lovers. We have ideas for every budget range—from stocking stuffers to big budget items!
We all have someone in our life who loves their plants as if they were their own children! Thankfully, having a plant lover in your life (plus the recent trendiness of keeping houseplants) makes gift-giving a breeze!
Here at Wholefully, we’re an entire team full of plant lovers, so we feel incredibly confident offering you our favorite gift ideas for plant lovers for 2020. We cover every price range in our gift idea list—you’ll find everything from stocking stuffers to extravagant gifts. These are the exact gifts we’d want under our Christmas tree!
What makes our 2020 list of gifts for plant lovers the best?
Our team has personally tested the items on this list! We purchased these items, tried them in our own homes and on our own plants, and are excited to recommend them! We don’t accept any freebies for our gift guides, so you can trust that we really do love everything on this list.
On our list, you’ll find a good balance between big box stores and small businesses. We also made sure to include many options that are from diverse companies, including BIPOC-owned companies, woman-owned companies, and LGBTQ+-owned companies. Happy shopping!
Note: Many of the links below are affiliate links, meaning if you purchase through our link, we get a small kickback for referring you—at no cost to you.
Houseplant Tool Upgrades
Plants aren’t the only things that can be beautiful! Your loved one will appreciate a beautiful (and functional) upgrade to the tools they use to keep their plants happy and healthy.
- Houseplant Sprayer—While a regular spray bottle certainly gets the job done, this glass houseplant sprayer looks so much more elegant on the shelf.
- Copper Indoor Watering Can—This metal watering can is a beautiful upgrade from the cheap plastic watering cans.
- Indoor Gardening Tool Kit—The miniature tools fit neatly into the tray when not in use, so it is easy to store away when you aren’t potting or transplanting.
These tools help your plant lover take the guesswork out of caring for their plants. These options are a great gift for beginning and advanced plant lovers!
- Grow Care Sticks—Have a plant lover who also is a smart home aficionado? These Bluetooth grow care sticks are perfect. Pop one in a pot, and then through a smartphone app, get notified if the plant needs more water, fertilizer, or sunshine.
- Self-Watering Bulbs—Never forget to water again with these adorable watering bulbs. They dribble water right to the roots of the plant a little at a time.
- Houseplant Care Cards—Learn how to care for 32 common houseplants with these beautifully illustrated cards. Each card tells you at a glance what kind of environment and watering the plants need on the front, while the backs walk you through troubleshooting.
- Fiskars Pruning Snips—These miniature, spring-loaded scissors are easily one of the most useful items on our entire list. Clip off a sprig of herbs, clean up dead foliage, snip off tags and ribbons—they are incredibly versatile. We highly recommend buying your plant lover the two-pack, because they’ll want them throughout the house.
- Grow Light—This gooseneck LED grow light is actually four lights in one—making it really flexible to fit around any size or number of plants. It clips onto a shelf, pot, or window sill with ease!
- Fertilizer Spikes—Houseplant fertilizer spikes are the easiest way to get your plants the nutrients they need. And because they get entirely buried in the soil, you don’t have to worry about pets or kids pulling them out.
Plants are gorgeous on their own, but we’ve never met a plant-lover who doesn’t love a beautiful planter or plant hanger to add to their collection. Here are the ones we are loving in our own homes!
- Tal and Bert Planters—These geode planters are absolutely the most beautiful planters we’ve ever seen! The concrete and mineral containers can bring just the right amount of subtle sparkle to a room.
- Mud Cloth Plant Basket—These handmade cloth plant hangers hide the unattractive pots houseplants come in, plus they make it so the plant is easily hung on an available hook!
- Self-Watering Planter—Self-watering planters are a god-send for folks who are still cultivating their green thumb or who leave their plants for days at a time (like someone who leaves plants in an office over the weekend). A reservoir is filled with water, and the plant can then soak up as much or as little water as it needs.
- Color Block Plant Hanger—A braided cotton hanger makes it easy to suspend pots in front of a sunny window. These hangers are sturdy and have beautiful color block details.
For Crafty Plant Lovers
Plant loving is not just about the plants themselves—it’s a lifestyle! For the crafty plant-lover on your list, here are a few of our favorite plant-themed craft gifts.
- Plant Cross Stitch Kit—If you’re looking for a DIY gift for plant lovers, look no further than this cross stitch kit from The Stitch Mill, which comes with all the materials you need. If you’re an experienced cross stitcher with a well established thread stash, you can also get the pattern alone.
- DIY Terrarium Kit—This terrarium kit is a great gift for the budding plant lover—child or adult! It contains everything you need to make an adorable little terrarium.
- Handmade Houseplants: Remarkably Realistic Plants You Can Make with Paper—Know a plant lover with a black thumb? Paper plants are the way to go! Get this book to create your own beautifully realistic plants for gifting, or gift the book to your favorite crafter so they can make their own.
Plant Lover Accessories
Help your favorite plant-lover scream their love of plants loud and proud with our favorite accessories!
- Plant Mom/Plant Dad Pins—Share your love of plants with these “Plant Mom” and “Plant Dad” pins. The metal and enamel pins are sturdy, and come with a secure rubber back that is less likely to fall off than the winged metal type.
- Monstera Keychain—Carry a memento of your plant love around with you all day with this monstera leaf-shaped keychain.
- Pineapple Air Plant Magnet—This reclaimed wood vase comes in two colors—gold and yellow. With a little air plant inside (included), it looks just like a pineapple.
- Succulent Candle—The scent of this candle has layers of fresh cut grass and agave that smells super fresh. We are loyal fans of this independent candle company in Indiana! The candles last forever and smell amazing, and the company is 100% plastic-free.
Books for Plant Lovers
You can’t go wrong with a good book! These are some of our favorite plant lover books. We have a few covering plant care, and a few to expand your favorite plant lovers horizons.
- Plant Parenting—This how-to guide is a great one for a burgeoning plant lover. It covers mostly houseplants, but also gives some information about vegetables and fruits—a great bridge to vegetable gardening.
- The Complete Houseplant Survival Manual—Think of this book as the first aid manual for plants! It’s a must-have for any plant parent. It gives you exact care instructions and troubleshooting tips for over 160 common household plants.
- Rosemary Gladstar’s Medicinal Herbs—Moving onto herbalism is a natural evolution for many plant lovers. Once you discover the power of plants, it’s hard to stop! This beginner’s guide is a wonderful place to start making plant medicines at home.
- Drunk Botanist Book—Take the love of plants to the next level with a little mixology fun! This book is all about crafting delicious and interesting cocktails with plants.
Out-of-the-Box Gifts for Plant Lovers
Looking for something that’ll truly knock their socks off? Here are a few of our favorite creative gifts for plant lovers.
- Membership to Botanical Gardens—Even in these days of social distancing, many botanical gardens and arboretums are starting to open back up to visitors. Get your loved one a membership to their local gardens, so they can wander and get inspired.
- Tutti Frutti Puzzle—This vibrant 500 piece puzzle is a great way to pass a wintery weekend.
- Poinsettia or Amaryllis—When all else fails: give your plant lover a plant! You can’t go wrong with one of these holiday classics. Who doesn’t enjoy some living flowers in the dead of winter?
We hope you’ve found the perfect gifts for the plant lovers in your life! We sure had fun compiling this list and testing out all these products. Happy shopping!