If your muscles are feeling a little tight post-workout, or you are otherwise dealing with some mild aches, this DIY Hot and Cold Sore Muscle Rub is here to help!
- 1/4 cup sweet almond oil or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cayenne (red pepper) flakes
- 1 tablespoons beeswax pellets
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 drops cinnamon essential oil
- 5 drops clove essential oil
- Screw-top metal tin or small jar (2 ounces)
- Labels (print them here)
- Heat the oil in a double boiler over low heat. Add in the red pepper flakes and continue to heat over very low heat for 30 minutes—or until the oil turns slightly red tinted and smells spicy.
- Drain the oil through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth. Discard the red pepper flakes, and return the oil to the double-boiler.
- Add in the beeswax pellets and heat until melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, add in the essential oils, and then transfer to glass jars or tins and immediately cover. Let cool completely and label. Store in a cool dark place.
- To use: Rub into sore muscles liberally. Because of the cayenne, you’ll want to avoid using it on delicate areas or near eyes and make sure to wash your hands well after use.
- To make a less effective, but still useful, rub that won’t burn your eyes, just leave out the cayenne. The essential oils on their own in a salve will go a long way towards helping!
- This makes for a medium-thick salve (think: the consistency of a stick of lip balm). You can always test the consistency of a homemade salve by placing one tablespoon of the hot salve on a plate in the freezer for a minute until firm. Check for consistency. If too goopy, add in a bit more beeswax; if too solid, more oil.
- There is no preservative in this salve, so store it in a cool dark spot, where it will keep for at least three months. To extend the shelf life to up to a year, add in 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil.
- To boost the pain-relieving properties, you can add 100mg of CBD oil to the final salve (when you add the essential oils).
Keywords: home remedy, essential oils, salve, natural health