My sister sent me this recipe last year and ever since, we’ve been eating it on a pretty frequent basis. I was excited when I realized it fit in with the elimination diet! My favorite thing about this salad is that it uses canned and frozen foods, which means you can easily pull together a delicious, summer-y salad even in the middle of winter.
It is also incredibly versatile. Eat it alone. Eat it on top of greens. Use it as a side with fish or chicken. You could even easily call it a “salsa” and use it as a dip for tortilla chips.
Corn, Black Bean and Fire-Roasted Tomato Salad
Adapted from Muir Glen
A great option for injecting a little bit of summer into a dreary winter menu without using out-of-season produce. Muir Glen makes great fire-roasted tomatoes in a can, but if you have trouble finding them, you can sub in regular diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes with chiles.
Makes 6 servings
- 1-16 ounce bag frozen sweet corn
- 1-28 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, diced
- Mix all ingredients together except for avocado. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Top with avocado and serve.