Chewy Gingerbread Cookies have all the warm and spicy holiday flavor you are used to, but in a soft and chewy cookie that is sure to please all your holiday guests.
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add in the molasses, egg, and vanilla and mix until well-combined.
- Add in the baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, pepper, and salt, and mix until just combined. Add in the flour and mix until well-combined, scraping the sides as needed.
- Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes. Then roll the dough into 1-inch balls, and roll each dough ball in granulated sugar. Place on an ungreased baking sheet, spacing them 2-inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 7-8 minutes, or until the cookies just begin to crack and crinkle, and the edges barely start to brown. Do not overbake or they won’t be chewy!
- Let cookies cool for a minute or two on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.