Who knew you could make queso without actual cheese? This Cashew Queso will surprise you!
Adapted from Minimalist Baker.
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional, for color)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (or less, if you don’t like heat)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (or your favorite hot sauce)
- Place cashews in a bowl or jar (I like using a wide-mouth quart mason jar) and cover with water. Let soak overnight (at least 6 hours).
- Once soaking is finished, drain and rinse the cashews, and place in the basin of a high-powered blender. Add 1 cup of water, the nutritional yeast, the salt, the garlic powder, the cumin, the chili powder, the turmeric, the chipotle in adobe, and the sriracha and blend on high until very smooth—about three minutes.
- Store in covered container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Quick soak method: Cover cashews with boiling water and let sit 1 hour before proceeding.
Super quick method: Place cashews and three cups of water in a saucepan, bring to a boil and continue boiling for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse before proceeding.