This Broccoli, Cheddar, and Potato Soup is warm, comforting and full of good-for-you veggies your whole family will love!
2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
1 small onion, diced
2 large carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose or whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup skim or almond milk
2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 5 petite Yukon Gold potatoes), peeled and diced
4 cups (about 2 heads) broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the butter in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and cook until just tender and fragrant, about five minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour, stir, and cook for two minutes to thicken any remaining liquid.
- Add the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and add potatoes. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, cover and cook until broccoli is tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender (or use a regular stand blender by carefully transferring the hot soup) until smooth.
- Turn off heat, stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
To make this recipe vegetarian: Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
To make this recipe gluten-free: Use arrowroot powder or tapioca starch instead of flour.
To make this recipe dairy-free: Use coconut oil, almond milk and non-dairy cheese instead of butter, milk and cheddar.
- Category: Soups