Quesadillas make a great meal for hectic weeknight evenings. The mashed avocado in these quesadillas give them an ooey, gooey texture, even if you choose to make these dairy-free and leave out the cheese!
- Cooking spray
- 2 burrito-size, whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed
- 1 cup cooked seasoned black beans (drained well)
- 1/2 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
- Salsa and sour cream for serving
- Spray a large skillet with the cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Add in one of the tortillas.
- Spread the avocado evenly over the tortilla, top with the black beans and the cheese. Add in the remaining tortilla on top and press down to seal.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the underside of the tortilla begins to brown. Carefully flip the quesadilla, and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, until heated through and brown on the underside.
- Transfer to a cutting board, let rest for 5 minutes, then slice into eight wedges. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
If you don’t have time to make your seasoned black beans from scratch, you can also buy them from a can in the grocery store. Check out the brands in the international foods aisles for the best flavor.
- Category: Vegetarian